Friday, April 17, 2009

Oh, the Agony!


Like so many other design buffs in blogland, I am an avid reader of Apartment Therapy. After following the Small Cool Contest for the last couple of years, I decided that this year I would bite the bullet and enter. It was just the extra incentive I needed to get my butt in gear and get my place in order.

I've been living in my condo for almost four years now. You would think that would be plenty of time to finish decorating. But no. I look around compiling mental lists of things I would add or change given the time and the money. I find myself with a lot of time right now - but pretty much no money. So it's time to get creative. Really, really, creative. I've got to make the best out of what I've got or can procure on the very, very, cheap. I have spent the last few weeks obsessively decorating, organizing, and rearranging. My sister (co-owner and roommate) comes home from work every day and we have a little game of "what has Tara changed in the apartment today?" Fun times. The place is still not done and there are still many things I'd like to change, but it's the best it's ever been and will most likely be for quite some time.

I sent the photos off to Apartment Therapy last weekend. I have now spent the week checking the blog a billion times a day to see if I've been posted. It's now Saturday. Nothing. Posts are done. I knew I wasn't going to win this thing - the goal was just to get posted and hopefully a respectable number of "thumbs up" and maybe a couple of nice comments. Oh, AT - why do you torture me like this? I am so disappointed. At least I now have some photos of my place I can post here. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. I just stumbled upon your blog through AT. Please don't be discouraged by this year's "small, cool" contest. I entered this year, and to my surprise, was selected. They posted it over Easter weekend; I think that affected my vote count, oh well...

    It's all about the photos and how they give you a sense of your space, physically and aesthetically. The first photo you upload is important--that's the one that will the largest one on the post. The instructions said "choose a wide shot", but instead I chose the one that would capture the attention of potential voters---think about what aesthetic vibe you're trying to convey. (my other pics were OK, just not as breathtaking as some of the other entries!)


    I love the blues your kitchen and bath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just stumbled across this post, and laughed because i went through the SAME THING!!!! i was so hopeful for some cool feedback, and was crushed on the contest closing day when there was nothing. There was still room in the International category, so i thought that perhaps they needed an even number of entries for the voting system and no one else had entered. ....i guess i was wrong!
    Coincidentally, i also live in Calgary. Hope you're enjoying the spring that's finally arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess, that is just too funny! I feel great comfort knowing a fellow Calgarian shares in my anguish :)

    ReplyDelete