Thursday, June 18, 2009

Table Fix


So remember when I was making plans for a trek to Ikea to pick up some stuff for my balcony? Well, by time I made it down there pretty much everything I wanted was sold out. (I should have known. The seasonal stuff always sells out quickly.) I really need an end table out there. I have no place to set my vodka cool...er... I mean, iced tea.

This Ikea end table is the smallest of three nesting tables I've had for a while. I'm using the larger two, but this one is really scratched and I didn't know what to do with it. The legs are powder-coated metal, so they should be fine outdoors. The top, on the other hand, is MDF. Not so good in the rain. I figured if I covered the top in water-resistant contact paper it would be fine. I removed the top first so I could easily cover all of it. Before the contact paper I put a couple layers of packing tape on the unfinished underside just to make sure it was sealed enough. Then I covered the entire top with a couple layers of white mactac. Reattached the top and... Ta Da! New outdoor side table for the price of a roll of contact paper! Man I love mactac. It's kind of becoming a problem...

No comments:

Post a Comment